Dr. Seuss Day / Read Across America Day is Here!
- posted in: News
Each year, National Read Across America Day (now called Dr. Seuss Day) is celebrated on March 2nd, the birthday of Dr. Seuss. The annual event is an initiative on reading created by the National Education Association.
Great ways to inspire reading in children include:
- Keep books everywhere you spend time. Put them in the car, in every room of the house and tuck them in backpacks and purses. Make them easily accessible.
- Visit the library often. Knowing how to use the library and learning the benefits of a library fosters a love of reading as well as a genuine respect for the services libraries provide.
- Get caught reading. Children imitate what they see the adults around them do. Whether they see you read a magazine, newspaper or novel, let them know reading is the cool thing to do.
- Read to your children. No matter their age, reading aloud strengthens their vocabulary and language skills. It also opens up opportunity for discussion.
- Have your children read to you, too. You never know what you might learn!