- Sep 06, 2020
- Mar 24, 2020
With schools and libraries closed, there are still ways for children to access hundreds of books – and the first month of Skybrary is free! Skybrary is a carefully curated digital library of interactive books and educational videos designed for young readers. Previously offered through LeVar Burton Kids, it has found a new home with RIF.
- Mar 01, 2020
Each year, National Read Across America Day (now called Dr. Seuss Day) is celebrated on March 2nd, the birthday of Dr. Seuss. The annual event is an initiative on reading created by the National Education Association.
Great ways to inspire reading in children include:
- Keep books everywhere you spend time. Put them in the car, in every room of the house and tuck them in backpacks and purses. Make them easily accessible.
- Visit the library often. Knowing how to use the library and learning the benefits of a library fosters a love of reading as well as a genuine respect for the services libraries provide.
- Get caught reading. Children imitate what they see the adults around them do. Whether they see you read a magazine, newspaper or novel, let them know reading is the cool thing to do.
- Read to your children. No matter their age, reading aloud strengthens their vocabulary and language skills. It also opens up opportunity for discussion.
- Have your children read to you, too. You never know what you might learn!
- Feb 04, 2020
February 5, 2020, is World Read Aloud Day! Now in its 11th year and celebrated in over 173 countries, World Read Aloud Day is a wonderful reminder of the power and importance of this best practice. Reading aloud provides a number of opportunities and benefits for children of all ages, from strengthening their vocabulary to increasing their attention span. Here’s a list of important questions to ask after you finish reading aloud to test comprehension and understanding.
- Jan 31, 2020
A survey in the UK found that children who own books are six times more likely to read above the expected level for their age. It makes sense that this applies globally, and RIF-Honolulu is part of the solution right here!
- Jan 12, 2020
- Jan 01, 2020
- Dec 30, 2019